Whether the accident occurs in a single family home or large business, slip and falls occur in various places. Where the injury occurs will determine liability rules, the available damages to the injured party, what parties to file a personal injury claim against, and what steps you must take to obtain the most desirable outcome possible.
The following are the most common locations where slip and fall accidents often occur:
- Grocery and hardware stores – Slip and fall accidents involving supermarkets or big box stores, such as Lowes or Home Depot, are typically complex in terms of proving liability and cooperating with the stores’ insurance providers or lawyers. These stores may also require some type of official notice of the incident, including filing an accident report or contacting a hotline to file the report.
- Hotels and resorts – Slip and falls at a resort or a hotel will have similar complexities as large businesses and stores.
- Private homes – It is imperative to understand if you get hurt on someone else’s property, you will often deal with their insurance company, so be prepared to face with an insurer before taking legal action.
- Small businesses – While it may not be mandatory to formally notify a small business about the injury, you must be wary of the necessary procedures to pursue a slip and fall claim.
- Apartments or rented homes – A slip and fall incident in an apartment can be the fault of the landlord, the tenant, or perhaps both parties. It is important to determine all of the circumstances of the accident to establish which party was responsible for the dangerous condition.
- Work – Workplace slip and falls are covered by Mississippi workers compensation, or in other cases, require legal action against an employer to obtain more damages.
- Public spaces – Whether it occurs in a public building or a street, a slip and fall in a public space could be the fault of a government entity responsible for providing a safe environment.
In all of these instances, having an experienced and skilled personal injury attorney on your side can help you recover financial compensation for your injuries. A lawyer has a comprehensive understanding of state premises liability law to guide you through the complexities of the legal system and your case.
If you suffered an injury from a slip and fall accident in Mississippi, contact Harris Law Firm, PLLC and request a free consultation with our Greenville MS injury lawyer today.